Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Jazz Trumpet - a mess.


Although jazz musicians complain that their records don't sell in regular record shops, new reissues seem to spring up like mushrooms. Nowadays the music of the 1950s seems top-of-the-bill, the 1950s issues in bebop, cool and hardbop jazz. One of these series are the 3CD sets released by Brilliant Jazz, part of Foreign Media Group, a Dutch company. These 3CD sets are named Jazz Saxophone, Jazz Vocal, Jazz Gruops, Jazz Guitar, Jazz Piano and Jazz Trumpet. The source of its music is the Savoy Jazz Archive, as they say on the cover.

I bought myself the Jazz Trumpet 3CD set and learned that the discographical information is absent, except that the title is mentioned and the trumpet player that plays on that tune. ( like Fats Navarro - Hollerin' and Screamin' ). No further information. If you dive into the discographies it is possible to trace most of the information. The Navarro tune appeared to be a 1946 recording of the Eddie Davis Beboppers. How is his absent of information to be cleared? After 50 years, the law says, tunes and songs are free to use, and to be sure that no-one can complain the source of the recording is not mentioned. The music on these reissues haven't been taken from the Savoy Jazz Archive, but from one of the original records or reissues on which the record was released. That could be an 78rpm record or an LP that has been released 45 years ago !!

I played the CD and I enjoyed the Savoy Legacy. The music is fine and the sound quality is as I expected, but ...... listening to the first CD track track 2 ( Lee Morgan - Softly As In A Morning Sunrise ) I hear a lovable bass player that plays the melody and then, suddenly, the tunes ends. Track 3 is starting. First I thought I my record was a missprint, but after studying the discographies I learned that the compilers used a medley for this tune and cut it at the moment a new titles started. This is the info of the medley:

Hank Mobley Quintet: Lee Morgan (tp) Hank Mobley (ts) Hank Jones (p) Doug Watkins (b) Art Taylor (d)
Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, November 5, 1956

SHM6903 Ballad Medley: Easy Living / P.S. I Love You / Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise / That's All


The bass player is Doug Watkins, but no Mobley on trumpet. The second part seems be used as track 13.

What a mess. I can except if producers give NO information, but using parts of medley's, cut off in a bad way, that doesn't even fit into the subject ( where is the trumpet player?) is for me unacceptable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home